Last weekend I found some time to stitch together the strips for my coins quilt -- paying special attention to the seam allowances. Despite my best efforts and the use of a 1/2 in. foot on my machine, my final strips are 1 in. too long! Each step along the way I measured and adjusted and re-measured. A little math explains the difference -- there are 26 pieces in each strip for a total of 25 seams. So each seam is off by only .04 inches. I suppose no matter how well I measured, this small difference was bound to go undetected. And I can't really determine if the difference was in the cutting or the sewing.
At least I can take solace in the fact that all of the three strips are the same size. So I'll just have to cut the middle strips and side borders one inch longer.
Here's my question to all experienced quilters out there. Is this acceptable? Or should I be worried about this 1 inch difference? In the end, I guess the simple fact is that I really did try to get the seams exact and I was still off, so I probably have to live with it.
In other news, thrifting season has begun! While there haven't been too many garage sales yet, the church rummage sales are in full swing and today I picked up these sweaters for $1 each. Two are cashmere and the other is 100% wool. Combined with some thrifted sweaters I got last summer and the bag of colorful scraps I purchased from Betz, I'm ready to try out some projects from Warm Fuzzies!
There are a few more sales tomorrow, so we'll see what they bring. Last weekend I missed out on 2 looms at a church sale -- and we arrived only shortly after the sale began. Tomorrow we're getting up bright and early!