This is a project I've been wanting to tackle for ages -- but of course it didn't work out at all as I had planned. About a month ago I bought some awesome huge, old canning jars and I planned to make little terrariums in them -- one for me and one for Maddie. Never mind that my hand couldn't even fit in the mouth of the jar, or that I couldn't find plants small enough anywhere. I carried the list of supplies and plants with me optimistically for weeks -- visiting every "garden" center I could find. I ended up buying rocks for the bottom layer from Hobby Lobby (and needed a second bag which Pete graciously ran out in a downpour to acquire!) and never found horticultural charcoal -- I'm using fish tank filter charcoal instead. Sphagnum moss (used to keep the layers from leaking into one another) was nowhere to be found, so I cut pieces of tulle and used that instead. And finally . . .
gave up entirely on the jars and opted for an old fish tank that had been banished to the basement awaiting the next fish or a new purpose.
Whew. (This is why I call these things my "crazy" projects!)