I don't think I've mentioned it here on the blog, but I've been making an effort to finish up projects that have been sitting around for a while. First there were the STR socks and now I have finished Maddie's Quilt! This was a long time coming as I started it back in July. (And sadly, called it a "quick quilt" -- 5 months doesn't seem very "quick" to me.)
It was a great way to use up a lot of FQ's and scraps and was very simple to make. I did learn that I need to find a new technique for quilting on my little Pfaff -- or I need to get a bigger one -- because pushing this monster through that machine nearly did me in.
And I changed stitches partway through the hand sewing of the binding. At first I was using some sort of blind stitch, I think. For the final stretch I changed my technique, sitting with the binding toward me and the back up and I worked from right to left using a ladder stitch. It was much quicker and looked just as neat. I'm also glad I went for the black binding, I think it gives it some nice contrast and a little more interest than it would have had if I went for another pastel.
Maddie seems to like it and that's really the best part about finishing it up. And now I need to block out the Keepsake Shawl which is another recent finish. Looks like 2009 is going to be wide open for new projects and this rate!