I finally decided to take the plunge and go toe-up on tis pair of socks for Maddie. It's been a long time coming. I first attempted toe-up socks about 7 or 8 years ago using the figure 8 cast on and hated it. Later I think I tried the provisional cast-on once and was less than thrilled. So this time I rang up Theresa and asked her opinion, as she is a devoted toe-up sock knitter. She recommended the magic cast-on and I gave it a try.
Considering that this was my first attempt, I'm pretty happy with it. As you can see, there is a little loose stitch on the left end of the toe, which was the start of my cast-on. I didn't really notice it until I had knit a few increase rounds, and by then I was too lazy to rip it and start over.
The yarn, Heritage Hand Painted sock yarn from Cascade, is pretty, but I'm not enjoying it all that much. It doesn't have much life, and likes to twist back on itself way too much. I'm hoping it will wear like iron though.
On an unrelated note. I got my MacBook and it seems to work with TypePad much better then my PC with Windows. Very nice.