Well, I finally finished a toe-up sock and I'm still not completely sold. I used the magic cast on for the toe and that went fairly well, although I seem to remember tearing it out at least twice. Then there was the heel. That was ripped out twice -- I finally ended up using the easy short row heel from here. Then there was the bind-off. I couldn't make up my mind for over a week, then today I just googled "stretchy cast off" and chose one of the first ones I saw, which ended up being Jeny's surprisingly stretchy bind off.
Glad to have the first one completed, and the fact that I have some notes helps since I'll have to duplicate this Frankenstein sock.
Perhaps I'll cast on for sock number 2 tomorrow, or perhaps not. We shall see.