I haven't had any needle work framed in years -- over a decade, most likely, and when I did have it done, I remember it being very expensive. So when I stitched up this little project a few weeks ago, I decided to try tackling the framing on my own.
I have to say that I'm super happy with how it turned out and the it was pretty much free since I already had the supplies I needed.
First I ironed my needlework -- face down, on a plush towel, using steam. Thank goodness nothing bled -- a serious concern when using hand dyed threads. Next I had Pete cut me a piece of acid-free mat board to size. I already had a frame from IKEA that I had bought at some time in the past with another project in mind. The frame already had a mat, but since it had a hole in the middle, that wasn't going to work. (Pete has a mat cutter, which I highly recommend if you are cutting this stuff since it's super hard to get through with scissors or even an exacto.)
After that, I centered the piece and started threading back and forth across the back. Since I used a scrap pf fabric, I didn't have a lot of extra, so this part was a lot harder than it needed to be. Once everything was tight, but not so tight that the board was bulging, I tied off my threads and popped it into the frame.
Now I just have to find the right size frames for a few other completed projects -- I'm all about this framing stuff.