In true Chicago fashion, the weather went from freezing and snowing to hot and sunny in the span of a few days. The bad news is that I got my first sunburn of the year over the weekend, the good news is that I spent a lot of time in the garden.
As you can see from the photo at the top of this post, my strawberry bed was looking a little rough. This is actually just one end of the patch, which is about 3 feet wide by maybe 12 feet.
I raked up all the mulch and straw that I could, then I got to work digging up all the existing plants. After that Pete helped me add some of our homemade compost as well as some store bought mushroom compost to the bed. I mixed it all up and planted the plants I had dug up previously, keeping them nicely spaced.
I also planted a few new strawberries which, as you can see, have some crazy pink blooms! The variety is "Tristan" which supposedly sends out few runners, so I planted them on the edge of the bed.
Two of the other raised beds were also prepped with more garden soil and compost. I'm itching to get some seeds in the ground, but I'm holding off since the weather has been unpredictable lately.