Not much time for posting today. The new Spring stamps arrived over at my rubber stamps store, which means lots of website updates and orders being packaged up and shipped out.
When I returned from the post office I was rewarded with an inconspicuous package sitting on the doorstep. When I opened up the plain white plastic parcel, this was inside! A few of the Kona Cotton colors I wanted were backordered, but there is enough here to start playing. Looks like the quilt might get started next week -- I'm very excited!
I've been having some serious fun with some new software. I bought Electric Quilt 5 (which you may have heard me mention on my podcast) and I'm addicted! I spent a little bit of time importing all the Denyse Schmidt fabrics and all the Kona Cotton Fabrics and I've been making all kinds of electric quilts.
Now I'm still hand sewing the binding onto my first quilt, so I didn't want to pictk anything too tricky for quilt number two. I figured it was risky enough that I was designing it myslef. So I found the most simple blocks I could and started messing around. So far this is my favorite design. Each block is just a square of a solid color with four pieces of the DS print in a block around it like so:
I'm thinking that I should definitely be able to do this. The only daunting thing is the finished size -- 104 in. X 104 in.
So, that's my idea for my next quilt. What do you think?
First of all, I'm in iTunes! (It's not pretty though -- I updated my feed trying to fix that, but not sure if it took. iTunes seems to take *forever* to refresh.)
And today I sewed the binding on my quilt!! I have to hand sew it onto the back, so no photos yet. Quite exciting -- this means it is nearly a real quilt! If tou want to see a real actual quilt, look here.
On Sunday I thought I would try to do a little work on my quilt. . . well, it turned into a whole day project. I just couldn't stop! That first picture up there is the "quilt sandwich". (Sorry for the skewed view -- I was standing on a chair and holding the camera up over my head.) You lay out the backing (which I had to piece together) and smooth it out. Then you lay down the batting -- I chose a cotton -- smooth that out and then the quilt top and, you guessed it, smooth that out. Of course you have to iron the back and the top too so it all takes longer than you would think. But look how flat it is when you are all done. . .
Isn't that cool? (Okay, maybe only to me, or to another quilter who has done this before.)
After that I put something like 300 safety pins in the thing to hold it together. Yikes! My fingers were sore. I couldn't find the plastic things that you put on the pins that are supposed to be so wonderful, so I soldiered on. Here's the quilt all pinned up and partially quilted. . .
And a close-up so that you can see how I quilted it. . .
I machine quilted this and the quilting pattern I used was really not very smart. See, when you machine quilt you have to move the whole quilt around, so every time I turned a corner -- which was about 1000 times, I had to move the quilt. My shoulders were aching! I didn't know any better though -- this is my first quilt after all.
I finished my quilting at class last night and if I have any time today (doubtful, since it's my nephew's birthday and I still need to get his gift) I may try to get started on the binding. I'm really obsessed.